District Education Manager- Mullaitivu
The PALAM/A (bridge in Tamil and Sinhala) project aims to encourage self-sufficiency of the Sri Lankan government’s school meal program, and improve primary school children’s literacy skills through improving the quality of literacy instruction; improving children’s attentiveness by decreasing short term hunger: improving children’s attendance: and increase the use of health, nutrition and dietary practices in Sri Lanka.
The district Education Manager responsible for leading the implementation of programme activities to improve literacy of early grade school age children, focusing on USDAs 5Ts: text, tongue, testing, teaching and time. Working with the provincial ministry of education and zonal education offices to ensure coordination and alignment with the provincial/district level educational objectives.
There will be one District Education Manager based in each of the following districts: Nuwara Eliya, Badulla, Ratnapura and Mullaitivu. The role of the post holder is to work with the primary sector ISAs to strengthen the capacity of primary teachers, collaboratively work with the SARVODAYA staff to ensure and strengthen community engagements for literacy promotion and closely work with PALAMA MEAL team.
In the event of a major humanitarian emergency, the role holder will be expected to work outside the normal role profile and be able to vary working hours accordingly.
SCOPE OF ROLE:
Reports to: Senior Manager-Education
Staff reporting to this post: District Coordinator – Education (Nuwara Eliya only)
Indirect: 2 employees from partner organisation
Budget Responsibilities: N/A
S/he responsible for leading the implementation of programme activities to improve literacy of school age children in both school and communities, focusing on USDA’s 5Ts: text, tongue, testing, teaching and time model at district/zonal levels. S/He will work with the provincial education authorities to ensure coordination and alignment of existing education programmes.
The position will also support to maintain relationship between Save the Children & Provincial Education Ministries, Zonal and Divisional Education Offices.
KEY AREAS OF ACCOUNTABILITY:
Quality implementation of Project activities as per the activity plan and coordination with Senior Manager Education.
Project Management and Quality:
- Coordinate the effective implementation of programme activities to improve literacy of early grade school age children, focusing on USDAs 5Ts model by ensuring coordination at Provincial Ministry of Education and Zone Education levels through open, timely, intentional and clear communication.
- Responsible for project activity planning and implementation of literacy promotion activities with higher coordination of zonal education officers aligning to their ongoing training schedules.
- Under the direction of the Senior Education Manager to promote literacy activities for quality implementation.
- Initiate and participate in advocacy initiatives at district level to improve literacy outcomes for students.
- Provide required technical assistance and coordinate Sarvodaya to ensure quality and sustainable community actions toward literacy promotion.
- Mobilization of In Service Advisors (ISAs), Teachers, Education Officials, etc. and facilitate conducting trainings to build capacities on literacy instruction, coaching, monitoring and evaluation methodologies in schools and communities.
- Ensuring on going coaching and mentoring process with the purpose of developing capacity of primary ISAs and demonstrating the effectiveness of more regular teacher training and coaching.
- Core facilitating of provincial/district level teachers training programmes with primary In Service Advisors.
- With the technical guidance of senior manager education, facilitate to establish and maintain virtual peer learning flat forms to share best practices, success stories, questions and technical matters among the primary teachers and ISAs.
- Ensure that all project components meet quality standards (i.e. appropriate application of literacy instruction; sufficient, varied, and contextually relevant books in reading camps)
- Identify and build strategic linkages, relations, collaborations and networks with partners and other stakeholders in implementation at the district level.
MEAL System and approaches.
- Coordinate baseline assessments at provincial and zonal level with MEAL team.
- Work closely with M&E team on M&E initiatives.
- Regular school visits for selection and Implementation of quality literacy boost programme.
- Support senior Manager Education in effective documentation of data on improved literacy outcomes, overall program successes, innovations and promising practices related to improved literacy and disseminate through appropriate mechanisms.
- Produce timely, accurate, compliant and quality data
Representation at provincial and district levels:
- Support to maintain and improve active and regular working relationships with other organizations who are linked to Education Programme.
- Support to maintain good relationship with Province, Zonal and Divisional Education Officers and Schools.
- Represent Save the Children in provincial/district clusters and other platforms as per the guidance from senior manager education.
- Bachelor Degree in the education field or in social sciences.
- Post graduate degree preferably in Education desirable.
EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in education which could include teaching experiences or working in development sector.
- Strong project management experiences.
- Knowledge about country Education system.
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to communicate and negotiate clearly and effectively at all levels taking into account cultural and language difficulties.
- Strong results orientation with the ability to challenge existing mind sets.
- Fluency in English and Sinhala/Tamil
- Sound knowledge in MS office packages
Date advertised: 21 Nov 2020
Closing date: 2 Dec 2020 - 23:59 +0530
Location: Mullaitivu, Sri Lanka
Department: Programme Operations
Type: Fixed-term contractSchedule: Full-time