Country Director- Laos
As a member of the Asia Senior Leadership team, you will have shared accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in Asia region of approximately $300-350 million each year through an organisation of nearly 5,500 people. To achieve our ambitious goals and breakthroughs for children, the leadership team globally, in collaboration with Save the Children Members and in conjunction with the other regional organisations, aims to drive our organizational goals.
COVID-19, conflict and climate together are negatively impacting children on a greater scale than we have seen in decades. To counter these forces, during the 2022-24 strategy period Save the Children will transform our impact for children with renewed urgency. We will globally drive four strategic goals that are mutually reinforcing in a child’s life – ensuring a healthy and nutritious start, a safe return to school and learning, a life free from violence, and a resilient family with resources to support them. We will change how we work as one global diverse organisation, more strategically with partners, and in alliance with children and local actors, so we can accelerate impact – leveraging advocacy and campaigning, digital and data, and improving our efficiency and return on resources.
The Country Director in Laos will have accountability for Save the Children’s international development and emergency programming in the country. Country Director will lead the growth and transform program quality of the country to new standards, whilst also delivering Save the Children’s strategy within the country through delivering quality programmes, including advocacy and campaigning; ensuring world class stewardship of resources from Members and their donors and driving new business development (NBD) unit and strengthen the CO sustainability
As a member of the Regional Senior Leadership Team, contribute to:
- Strategic development and delivery of international programming, in both humanitarian and development contexts, in line with the Save the Children mandate, strategy and theory of change
- Collaboration with colleagues in the region to deliver any regional programmes and advocacy, in line with regional strategies, operational plans, budgets and Save the Children Member requirements that result in significant impact for children
- Supporting the development of an organisational culture that reflects our dual mandate values, promotes accountability and high performance and frees up our people to deliver outstanding results for children and excellent customer service to our Members and donors.
Deliver transformational change in-country, including:
- Developing and delivering improved outcomes for children through delivery of the Save the Children global programme strategy and global initiatives and growth targets as set for the country
- Defining and implementing the new operating model for the country, in consultation with the Regional Director and Operations Team.
- Engaging Save the Children staff, partners and other stakeholders to create real shared ownership and collaboration
- Creating an environment of continuous learning, where staff are encouraged and supported to grow and develop and are willing to be held accountable for their commitments
- Ensuring that the focus of the organisation remains on the rights and needs of children
- Visioning for localization by working closely with all the stakeholders at regional and centre level
Be accountable, and develop the capacity of, mentor and hold staff accountable for:
- Developing a strong country strategy and operational plans that identify and address significant issues facing children, and are in line with Save the Children’s overall strategy (with a focus on Global Initiatives) and theory of change
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to major emergencies affecting children, including building relationships with key humanitarian and development decision-makers and partners in-country
- Delivering programmes and advocacy in line with the country strategy, operational plans, budgets and Member requirements that result in significant impact for children
- Collaborating with colleagues in the region to deliver any regional programmes, NBD and advocacy, in line with regional strategies, operational plans, budgets and Save the Children member requirements that result in significant impact for children
- Developing and maintaining good relations with Members and their donors
- Growing the country programme to become the leading NGO addressing children’s issues in the country
- Developing and maintaining efficient and effective operating systems, and ensuring compliance with all Save the Children Minimum Operating Standards, with a particular focus on safety & security management
- Developing and coaching staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Save the Children’s objectives
- Contributing to global knowledge and learning in Save the Children
- Drive the high performing organization (HPO) programs so that CO is able to deliver high quality programs on time and on budget
Be accountable, and develop the capacity of, mentor and hold the Senior Management Team accountable for:
- Role modelling and leading the way on the new values and ways of working
- Developing strong country strategy and operational plans that identify and address significant issues facing children, and are in line with Save the Children’s overall strategy (with a focus on Global Initiatives) and theory of change
- Preparing for and implementing rapid and effective responses to emergencies in-country affecting children
- Collaborating with colleagues in the region to deliver any regional programmes and advocacy, in line with regional strategies, operational plans, budgets and Save the Children member requirements that result in significant impact for children
- Building relationships with key decision makers and partners
- Developing and coaching staff to optimise their potential in pursuit of Save the Children’s objectives, develop a pool of successors for leadership and key positions, manage talents for career growth within the organization.
- Contributing to global knowledge and learning in Save the Children
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/careers
Closing Date for Application: 16 August 2022
We need to keep children safe so our selection process, which includes rigorous background checks, reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
All employees are expected to carry out their duties in accordance with our global anti-harassment policy.
Date advertised: 2 Aug 2022
Closing date: 16 Aug 2022 - 21:29 +0530
Location: Vientiane Capital, Lao People's Democratic Rep.
Department: Programme Operations
Type: PermanentSchedule: Full-time